Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Race Report

Here is what I sent the Team Jackass folks that I train with---

Well, guess I feel responsible for a race report, so here it goes:

After waking up in a king bed with the Cajun Coonass, we got ready to head over.  I decided for one last quick emptying of the bladder before we left, and when zipping up my onesie I just bought from da judge, the zipper broke.  I think this was intentional as some sort of hazing...just sayin

We got over, got bikes and transition ready, then met up with Dusty and walked over to watch the pros take off.  I was amazed that I felt no nerves, just ready to go.

My swim wave took off at 7:35am.  Water felt good, I wasn't cold.  Just ready to go.  We took off, and by the first buoy I had swallowed three gulps of salt water and my goggles were quite foggy.  Still, no panic, just moving forward.  Within 5-7 minutes, 3 other guys from my wave had asked to be pulled out and quit.  It was at this point I had definitely decided I'd rather die than quit.  I didn't get a sore ass on my trainer and ride in 40 degree weather all winter to go out like that.  After 6 yellow buoys and a red one, I got to stop fighting the current and make a left turn.  I wasn't actually swimming, I was persevering.  I was quite nauseous by the middle of the orange buoys.  I puked no less than 6 times, lost everything I had in me, and my stomach was BADLY cramping.  I had the pleasure to meet about 3 other people who were in the same situation, and we should have gotten volunteer shirts at the end for our assistance to the other people actually out there swimming.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, I got out of the damn water, undoubtedly looking like a lost zombie, and slowly walked to transition.

On my way in, I see Harold, who I'm pretty sure thought I was dead by now, since it took me over an hour and 20 minutes to get out of the water.  I went over to my bike and got ready, and started trying to get nutrition back in me.  Still felt very nauseous.  I'll tell you right now that I was not able to eat, or even look at, any remotely solid food until well after the finish.

Got on my bike, and kept drinking.  Spent the first 1/3 of my bike getting my bearings back. 

Stopped 4-5 times on the bike.  Once to pee, the others to stretch and give my butt a break.  Actually had a good comfortable pace riding, and got stronger as the ride went on. 

Got back in off the bike, and headed out to the run.  Felt good.  Plan was to jog between aid stations, and walk through them to hydrate and get any nutrition.  Felt good the first of there loops.  Second time around I was starting to feel my legs trying to cramp, and last loop was strictly cramp management. 

Either way, I finished, and that was my ONLY goal.  Huge accomplishment for this ole boy. 

The best part of my day though was after I was done, knowing that Dusty was still out there and rocking along.  Seeing him out there, last man on the course (like a true Jackass), and cheering him on down the stretch and at the finish was awesome.

All in all, a tough day, but a great day...

Sorry this was long!

No comments:

Post a Comment