Sunday, April 20, 2014

A good ride and then a good cause

Terry and I were going to not ride on Friday so our legs could be fresher for our 10k on Saturday, but the weather was just way too beautiful to not get out there.  We did our normal loop, and I ended up with 22.75 miles at a 17.05 pace.  We rode easy, and actually still ended up riding a little harder than we wanted to.  We had intended on just getting out to enjoy the sunshine, not pressing at all.

Yesterday was the first Laces of Grace 5k/10k.  Laces of Grace is a fantastic organization founded by our friends Matt and Corey Graves that provided new shoes to children and adults who otherwise couldn't afford them.  There were around 100 runners for this first one, and the money raised will help buy around 200 pairs of shoes to distribute.

I had debated between the 5k and 10k, but ended up settling on the 10k.  My goals were to be under 9:15 pace, and start working to eliminate the 9/1 method I've jogged with up to this point.  Overall, I was pleased with my run.  If I would have done the 5k, I would have won my age group.  Doing the 10k, I didn't.  I didn't expect to.  The age groups were done in 10 year increments, and there were a few strong runners in mine.  It's one of those days where the race was only against myself and my goals, not about medals.  I took the first of the two loops pretty quick.  The only walking I did was about 10 seconds through each of the two water stations for a quick drink.  My legs were tight and sore starting out.  Heck, I haven't really taken any break since Galveston to rest and recover from the training the past few months!  I made the turn for the second loop, and soreness was setting in.  I was probably close to just under an 8:30/mile pace for the first loop.  There was no was I would be maintaining this.  I slowed it down the second loop.  I did the same walking through the aid stations, and added a 45 second walk about midway through this loop.  The result was a 52:32 and much better than the 9:15/mile pace I was trying to stay under.

First 10k in the books, and both goals accomplished.  Time to enjoy a beautiful Easter Sunday now!

No comments:

Post a Comment