Sunday, February 2, 2014

Well, here we go!

Thanks for stopping by!  I'm Tommy, and this is my tri blog!  Well, the name probably gave all of that away...

Anyway, I love writing, and I love triathlon, and this blog allows me to document my journey, allow others to follow my progress,  encourage others to start a journey of their own, help me stay accountable, and hopefully many other things!

A little history about me for those that don't know-

I topped out at a weight of 243 a handful of years ago.  I'm down under 200 now.  I just started eating better and exercising some.  I had ridden a road bike off and on for a few years before last January. That was about the extent of my exercising.  Then something changed...

I decided that health and fitness were very important to me.  I NEVER wanted to be as large and out of shape as I was before.  I also know that heart disease runs pretty rampant through my family tree.  So after seeing others I know involved in it, and already riding a bike, triathlon seemed like a great challenge and next step!

Last January I started going to spin class and running some after.  I had never jogged more than 3 miles at one time before January 2013.  I knew this was going to be something new and possibly painful for this ole white boy!  I set a personal goal of just completing 3 sprint triathlons during the calendar year of 2013.

Long story short, I accomplished my goal!  I did my first one in Athens, TX in March.  I highly recommend this one for anyone that is a beginner in this sport.  It's a shorter and indoor swim.  I loved it.  I remember exactly how I felt when I crossed the finish line.  I'll even go ahead and admit here that I teared up hearing my then 10-year old son tell me he was proud of me and give me a big hug.  Pretty great feeling!

Next was the Four States Triathlon here in Texarkana on Mother's Day in May 2013.  It was my first open water swim.  No lie, I almost quit about 150 yards into the 650 yard (I think) swim.  I had been battling a cold, and when I first put my face down in the freezing lake water, it HURT!  They are right when they say that the toughest part of an open water swim is mental (whoever "they" are).  I had a come to Jesus meeting with myself right there in Lake Wright Patman floating on my back.  I reminded myself that I would NOT be a quitter, and played out in my head how I would feel after if I had quit.  I'm pretty pissed at myself that the thought even went through my mind.  Anyway, I got back on track, altered my swim stroke to keep my face out of the water, and finished that sucker!  4th in my age group!  I even have an award in my garage proving it!  Haha!

Finally there was the Lake Degray International Distance triathlon.  This was mid-August 2013.  I was feeling confident and signed up for the "Degray Double" with the intention of just finishing both.  This was a swim of 1650 yards, then 24.2 on the bike, and 6.2 jog.  That was Saturday.  Then they also held a sprint triathlon the next day.  Hence, the double.  Well,  things were rolling along pretty well Saturday---after a second come to Jesus in the early stages of my swim!  But I got through that, then hit the bike.  I had never trained on hills, and that hurt me.  Coming down the last 2-3 miles of the bike, I started cramping in my left hammy.  By the time I was a mile into the jog, it was happening in both hamstrings and my left calf.  I ended up having to stop twice for 5-7 minutes each time on the run portion to stretch and work cramps out.  Walking increased, and jogging decreased.  Well, I did make sure I looked good jogging when I saw the cameras!  Haha!  In the end, I did finish, and I was glad.  I was also quickly reminded by my friend Monty that I finished after a fella with one arm.  My quick witted excuse was that I had 4 cramping limbs to his 3, but in truth, I have GREAT respect and admiration for the people I see who are physically challenged accomplishing their own goals in this sport.  I find that very motivating and inspiring.

Either way, after a steady diet of pickle juice, a lot of whining, and much limping around, my body suggested to me that maybe the sprint Sunday wasn't the greatest idea (it could have also been assisted by the dreams of drowning in Lake Degray that I had that Saturday night).  So Sunday I did what was the best thing for me and cheered along the guys I knew competing in the sprint.  It also gave me a chance to just watch and enjoy getting to know this sport that I have fallen in love with.

All in all, 2013 was a great year.  I learned a lot, accomplished my goals, and it left a hunger in me for more.  MUCH more.

So now here we are in February of 2014.  This year, I plan to do my first half marathon this month.  I also will do my first half ironman in Galveston in April.  That will be followed by the Four States in May, then the Degray Double in August.  Following that, I plan to start training for my first full marathon at the end of the calendar year.

Pretty lofty goals, yes, but I am excited about working towards accomplishing them.  ALL of them.  In fact, I just signed up to volunteer at Ironman Chattanooga 2014 so that I can be there to get into the field for Ironman Chattanooga 2015!  Crazy, right?!?!?!

Anyway, there's a little of my backstory.  From here on out, I expect posts will be more brief in nature.  I plan to write about my progress, victories, failures, mindset, thoughts, and all sorts of other crap!  I always welcome your encouragement and comments.  You have no idea what they mean.  Having people around me this past year to provide that provided more fuel for me than I can even put into words.

So, here we go!  Let the journey begin!  Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to come back sometime!


No comments:

Post a Comment