Sunday, February 23, 2014

An encouraging ride

I decided that for today's ride I wanted to try simulating the plan I think I will be following in Galveston for the ride portion.  Basically, I planned to ride 40 miles, just a nice continuous (not pushing too hard) pace, stopping for 2-3 minutes every 10 miles to take a gu and drink some water, and to give my sensitive areas a rest from the seat!  I was hoping to stay at worst between 15.5 - 16 mph for my average today.  I figure that for the 56 mile ride in April, I can stop every 11 miles and follow this same plan.  Again, I am focused on just finishing this first time, not pushing too hard, since it will be the first time my old body has done a 70.3!

Today started well.  I stopped according to plan at mile 10.  At one hour, I was averaging 16.9 mph.  At mile 20, things were still rolling along perfectly.  I was feeling good overall.  I was envisioning having completed the swim and also was thinking about what it will be like getting off the bike and doing a 13.1 mile jog.  

The wind today was a little brutal.  The third set of 10 miles was by far the toughest!  I was mainly riding into a strong headwind.  It sucked.  In fact, it sucked BAD!  Truth be told, twice during this stretch I found myself literally SCREAMING out of hatred for the wind!  Loudly.  Even freaked myself out a little.  It just happened!

I stopped at mile 30 for my regular pit stop.  I knew that if I could get past the next 3-4 miles, I would be out of the BRUTAL headwind.  I also realized another important thing at this stop---chaffing SUCKS.  And HURTS!  I will be better prepared for this part next time :)  

So on I went.  I still was pacing myself the rest of the way, but found myself wanting to go harder and faster once I knew I was within a few miles of my finish.  I had to hold myself back, but I knew it was what I needed to do.  

I ended up doing 42.2 miles.  It took me 2:28:34.  I averaged 17.04 mph. 

I was very pleased, as well as encouraged, by today's ride.  It gives me even more confidence heading into Galveston.  I found myself even more excited about April 6 when I got off of my bike today.  That was a GREAT takeaway.

My other big takeaway is how much respect people that work hard toward their passions.  I passed at least 7 different runners and 2 other riders.  It is always extra motivating to see other people who are dedicated and MAKE time to invest in their health.  

All in all, a great weekend.  Now I'm ready for an AWESOME week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment