Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Time to drop lb's and prepare for two 13.1's!

After the Keller Sprint, my focus now is on strengthening my body, trimming up, and building a stronger run.  My next 2 events will be two half-marathons.  The first is Run The Line in Texarkana on Feb 15, then Cowtown two weeks later on March 1. 
Last week I did weights twice and jogged on Tuesday evening.  
Over the weekend I had my strongest back-to-back run days to this point.  Saturday morning a handful of us jogged some trails, which is something I've never done!  It was different, but great for my legs!  We did right around 7 miles overall, finishing with an average pace just over 13 minutes per mile.  
Sunday I planned on doing only 7-8 miles.  As we got into the beginning of the run, I decided I'd do 10 miles with Harold so he wasn't by himself.  I felt great up until around 8.6 miles, then hit a wall!  From 8.6 to around 9.3 were VERY tough for me.  Anytime I run, no matter the distance, I jog 9 minutes and then walk 1.  During that span on Sunday, I walked for 30-40 seconds 2 extra times! I got it back together and finished up, and ended up averaging 10:58/mile for the 10 miles.  Not too shabby for all that work.

My plan for the next few months is to do 2 shorter and quicker runs during the week, as well as 2-3 strength workouts, then some longer and slower jogs on the weekends.  So far, this week has been good as I had a great workout with weights Monday, then a strong jog for me today on Tuesday.  I did 2 miles.  Ended up averaging 8:22/mile for the whole 2 miles.  I was at 1.07 miles at the 9 minute mark, then had my walk, then averaged 7:46/mile pace for the rest of the run.  Great progress to build on!

Oh, and on a side note, I weighed 211.6 last week, and I'm going to work on getting that number down to 190 or under by the time Feb 15, 2015 gets here.  I have been better watching what I'm eating, cut back on the beer, and gotten back to a more regular workout regimen.  That plus some determination will get me there.  I can already feel a difference over the past week.  That's another great thing to build upon!

No comments:

Post a Comment